Pages

Monday 22 August 2011

Holiday reflections; Lincoln

This week I am on holiday - staying at home, so I will take the opportunity to reflect on some of my favourite places that I have visited during the course of my work. Today's subject is Lincoln.




The city is dominated by its magnificent Gothic Cathedral set on a hill overlooking the surrounding flat lands of Lincolnshire, it draws the eye where-ever you are in the city. Getting up to the Cathedral entails a stiff climb up probably the worlds most accurately named street - "Steep Hill".








Lincoln Castle shares the hilltop location and contains one of the four surviving original copies of Magna Carta.














The city's river, the Witham flows into a  small lake known as Brayford Pool around which the town first grew.


From Brayford Pool the river flows through the city centre passing the new, vibrant Waterside shopping area and several pictureque pubs such as the Witch and Wardrobe.
 
To see more photographs of Lincoln please go to my Flickr Photo Set; Lincoln.

No comments:

Post a Comment